This is a free simple "anti-droplets mask".
Scaled to the good size before 3D-printing.
This is only a prototype and should NOT be used for the moment as long as it is not certified by professional testings.
Use PLA for recycling possibilities and cover with waterproof 'material' !
The Mask can be scaled on Z up to whatever you want, so the thickness is like 'parametric'.
- This design can give ideas about 3D-printed masks to anyone involved.
- Mesures 0.2 to 0.7 millimeters of thickness which makes it flexible
- Scalable on Z (argument that makes this design unique for the moment)
- Scalable on X Y ! (super important to fit anybody's face)
- Weights ~12 GRAMS on the 0.07 version
- it's disposable and prints in around 1h30mn in 0.07 version !
- if you 3D-print in PLA it will be Bio-degradable
- 3D-Printable at home if you own a 3D-printer
- you can 3D-print it for your familly and neighboors
- you can modify it using the .blend file (I'll document the process a bit but it's really simple if you know Blender)
- it's free to download right now in the next clic and doesn't even have a OSHW Licence... no time for this.
- (2020.04.27 update) : Depending on PLA quality and chosen height the mask can turn too hard to assemble.
- There is no filter obviously. And doesn't seal perfectly but the air flows like a surgical mask, and that's why it's a shield ("escudo" in portuguese)
- The user must clean it everyday. I recommend alcohol. (not really 'cons', all masks must be cleaned).
- Porosity : it depends on the quality of the 3D-printer and material used, and you can cover it with anything like spray for painting or transparent ink. Anything non-toxic that would make it perfectly waterproof. (0.1mm layer height is good against porosity but has to be proven scientifically) => I USE A 0.4 EXTRUDER WITH 0.35 SLIC3R'S ADVANCED SETTINGS !
- Security norms other than filtering : https://masques-barrieres.afnor.org/
- Is the shape good for ALL ? no, it needs various shapes ! (made from version 1 not this 0.0x versions)
- Needs elastics and inside protection so there's no direct contact with the skin. About that there's a nice trick : 3D-print on a tissue but it's for advanced 3D-printers and would complexify the process. I recommend to add Neoprene after 3D-printing this mask.
- Question about material used: is PLA good for this ? what about other materials like ABS or PET ? main argument about PLA is that it's BIODEGRADABLE so I strongly recommend it, let's not forget our "plastic problem" aka "8th continent".
Moved the pins and holes to perfect the junction when you close the Vs to assemble.
Made to be quickly assembled.
Needs "hot glue" to seal the Vs or standard glue. Edit: After some testings "hot glue" is not good for PLA because of the thickness so I just recomment standard glue, then letting 12h at least to dry.
You can also paint it on the exterior part ! (that is the fun part !) :)
Started a live stream while printing : https://www.twitch.tv/ldcv_meta_4
Recorded video here. The print in the video was too thin. I broke it while assembling it. So had to start again with 150µm/layer and 1600% scale on Z. This produced a nice result !
I'm happy to introduce you the version 0.07 (because it works, otherwise I'm very sad for the context unfortunately) :
12.2 GRAMS. 4 Layers of 150µm each. 3mm pins. A bit hard to assemble but really good in my opinion.
Thickness : 0.4mm.
WITH THE .STL : TRY, MODIFY, SHARE, FORK on github !
In theory : ~80 masks with 1Kg of PLA!
Next in version 0.1 : use current designs to add the filters.
About masks found : Congratulations to the finished ones, but are they the lightest possible ? are they the best solution to mass-produce ? Are they on Github or a Gitlab so other specialists can use and contribute ?
Thank you very much to https://stop-postillons.fr/ for the first link pointing here !
MESSAGE TO PROFESSIONAL 3D-PRINTERS : Recommended price 2€ but OF COURSE you can GIVE IT ! TAKE THIS .STL AND DWTFYWWI (do what the fuck you want with it).
( first versions here )
Actually testing fast printing at 80mm/s = 48mn estimated, so around 1 hour ! (150µm/layer, 0.4mm extruder)
Loaded G:\3D\gcode\breathing_protection_mask_v007-main_shape_mesh_scaled_2800x_2600y_1600z.gcode, 11427 lines
1631.26mm of filament used in this print
The print goes:
- from 9.88 mm to 170.12 mm in X and is 160.24 mm wide
- from 5.42 mm to 174.62 mm in Y and is 169.20 mm deep
- from 0.00 mm to 3.45 mm in Z and is 3.45 mm high
Estimated duration: 23 layers, 0:48:16
Print started at: 17:26:01
Print ended at: 18:17:52 and took 0:51:50
********************* WARNING *********************
- ACTUAL VERSION : 0.07 (Alpha)
- MASK STATUS : PROTOTYPE
- USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
- I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BAD USE OR ANY CONTAGION WHILE USING THIS MASK
USEFULL LINKS :